M.Sc. in Media Informatics
An average semester load is 30 credits. Hence the programme is intended to be 4 semesters:
4 x 30 = 120 credits
|Courses of CCT, MMT, MMUI||58|
|Computer and Communication Technology (CCT)||min. 20|
|-- Course: Data Communication and Internet Technology||min. 6|
|-- Course: Foundations of Data Science (replaces Object-Oriented Software Construction)||min. 6|
|Multimedia Technology (MMT)||min. 20|
|-- Course: Computer Graphics||min. 6|
|Multimedia Use and Impact (MMUI)||min. 10|
|-- Course: Designing Interactive Systems||min. 6|
|min. 58 in total from the 3 areas above incl. the mandatory courses|
|Lab Work||total 20|
|Total 20 credits are needed, which means two labs with 10 credits each|
|Communication Skills||total 12|
|German course (Native German speakers have to do another seminar instead)||4|
You may register your thesis when you have achieved the following credits and they are shown on your transcript.
- All credits in Communication Skills (12 credits)
- At least 10 credits in Lab Work
- And 24 more credits in CCT, MMT or MMUI.
In total you'll need 60% of 90 credits, which translates to 54 credits.
To finish the programme you'll need 120 credits as mentioned above.
If you found a topic with a supervisor from the CS department of RWTH Aachen University, University of Bonn, Fraunhofer FIT or IAIS, please consult with Mrs. Cuepper in the ZPA to register your thesis.
Reminder: if the thesis is registered you'll have only 6 months to work on it.
Credits for Lectures, Seminars and Labs
Credits are given for lectures, seminars and labs after a sucessful examination according to the European Credit Transfer System ECTS.
For a lecture with excercises you get lecture hours x 2 credit points, for a lecture without excercises you get lecture hours x 1,5 credit points, for a seminar or a lab you get seminar/lab hours x 2 credit points.In the following list you see typical lectures at our department and the credit points you can get for attending them successfully.
- V4/Ü2 : 4 hours of lecture + 2 hours of excercises (4 x 2 = 8 credits)
- V3/Ü1 : 3 hours of lecture + 1 hours of exercises (3 x 2 = 6 credits)
- V2/Ü1 : 2 hours of lecture + 1 hours of exercises (2 x 2 = 4 credits)
- V2 : 2 hours of lecture without exercises (2 x 1,5 = 3 credits)
- S2 : 2 hours of seminar (2 x 2 = 4 credits)
- P5 : 5 hours of lab work (5 x 2 = 10 credits)